A wise person said “change is the only constant in life” and when thinking about the new school year it is clear that we are in for a great deal of change:
- The K-9 curriculum is beginning to be rolled out.
- The 10-12 curriculum is nearing its final form.
- Assessment and reporting are being revamped.
- You are meeting new students, perhaps teaching a new grade or subject.
- Colleagues have moved on and new ones have joined your staff.
Before you start to hyperventilate please remember:
- You should see a pay raise – 1% as of July, as well as the ESD (Economic Stability Dividend). Check your pay stubs.
- You are bright and well-educated.
- When it comes to implementation of the new curricula it is expected that we will explore, attempt, and adjust according to our professional judgement and our students’ needs.
- Teachers are dedicated, determined and resilient people.
- You get to play with robots, write code and do other cool stuff.
- You need to remember to take care of yourself – find a life/work balance.
- Help is available – remember to reach out.
May the 2016-17 school year bring you new learning, exciting experiences as well as the satisfaction of knowing that you are making a difference in students’ lives.
Michele and Mary